DPI Report Card
Dear St. Martin of Tours Parish Members and School Alumni,
This year, for the first time, all private schools participating in the Parental Choice Program, including St. Martin of Tours, received a report card from the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction summarizing school performance. Report cards are also issued to all public schools, public school districts and charter schools.
Evaluating student performance on the Forward Exam, which all 3-8 students took in spring, is one way we measure student growth. The results of the Forward Exam indicate very good overall academic student achievement, excellent student academic growth, outstanding math student achievement, and an overall DPI report card rating of “Significantly Exceeds Expectations”, the highest rating possible here at St. Martin of Tours School.
To further understand how students at St. Martin of Tours compare to students across the state, the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction issues a state report card to each school that measures overall school performance based on Forward Exam results.
The report card is intended to help schools utilize data and target improvement efforts to ensure students are ready for the next educational step – including the next grade level, high school, college and careers.
Private schools participating in the parental choice program receive a score in each of the following areas:
- Overall Score: combines three scores from the areas of Student Achievement, Student Growth, an On-Track and Postsecondary Readiness to determine if the school meets Wisconsin Department of Instruction standards
- Student Achievement: proficiency in reading and math on state assessments
- Student Growth: measured by year-to-year improvements in achievement
- On-Track and Postsecondary Readiness: measures students’ readiness for high school based on third grade reading, eighth grade math and student attendance.
Based on all these areas, schools receive one of five rating categories, from Significantly Meets Expectations to Fails to Meet Expectations.
Here are some key findings from our Team SMOT report card:
- Overall student achievement scores – our SMOT achievement score is 80.1 compared to the state of Wisconsin score of 67.3
- Our school growth score is incredible! SMOT school growth score is 94.4 compared to the state of Wisconsin score of 66.0.
- Our school math growth score is even more impressive! SMOT math school growth score is a perfect score of 50.0 compared to the state of Wisconsin math growth score of 31. 9/50.
- Our overall school score on our DPI Report Card is 84.5, which is defined as “Significantly Exceeds Expectations”.
We have included an FAQ document entitled, “How to Read the Report Card” to help you understand the information contained in the report card, as well as the information on the back of the report card. Thank you for taking the time to review our report card. I am happy to answer any questions that you have. We will be soon scheduling a parent meeting for December or early January to go over both the DPI Report Card and to offer information on our 2018-19 SMOT education models and receive parent/parish member comments and feedback. We will alert you to the meeting date as soon as it is set.
Paul Hohl, Principal